Migraine During Pregnancy: Effective and Safe Treatment
- 29 Jul 12:30
- Causes of Migraines in Pregnancy
- Symptoms of Migraines in Pregnant
- Migraine Treatment in Pregnancy Medications
- Alternative Treatments for Migraines in Pregnant
A large number of women suffer from migraine headaches, and those who do not know what isare just lucky. As a rule, with the advent of pregnancy migraine retreats, as the development of this type of headache is associated with the hormonal background of the woman. But, unfortunately, there are cases when migraine does not leave a woman even during pregnancy. What should be done in such cases, since practically all medicines for relieving headaches are prohibited during carrying the child? In this article, we will look at why migraine occurs during pregnancy, what its symptoms and how to get rid of migraine pain, so as not to harm the future child.
Causes of Migraine During Pregnancy
The causes of migraine in pregnant women are no different from those who are not in a position. Today, scientists believe that migraine is a genetically predisposed disease. About thirty genes and their variations are identified that are responsible for migraine attacks from their "masters" from light to very severe.
But one genetic predisposition for a migraine attack is small, the effect of provoking headache factors must be influenced. This can be attributed to:
- stressful situation;
- physical or emotional strain;
- use of some foods( chocolate, hard cheeses, nuts, fish, high doses of caffeine, preservatives for products, such as sodium glutamate, aspartame, nitrates);
- alcohol intake, especially with red wine and champagne;
- long sleep;
- oral hormonal contraceptives;
- various dyshormonal disorders in the body of a woman;
- weather change.
The development of migraine attack is associated with an increased amount of estrogen in the body of a woman, therefore migraine in non-pregnant women most often develops at the beginning of menstrual bleeding. In pregnancy, the hormonal background changes in the direction of the predominance of progesterone, respectively, the attacks should stop. But, if the pregnant woman has any hormonal changes, such as a lack of progesterone, then the woman continues to suffer from migraine attacks.
Migraine symptoms in pregnant
Migraine is a special type of headache that is fundamentally different not only in a specific clinical picture, but also in the mechanism of headache development. If the basis of most types of pain is spasm of the cerebral arteries, which leads to hypoxia of the brain, the pathogenesis of the migraine is the pathological expansion of cerebral vessels and hyperperfusion of the brain tissue. Such a mechanism of pain causes the ineffectiveness of most drugs for the treatment of headache, which requires the use of specific anti-migraine drugs.
Suspicion of migraine attack in pregnant women can be by the following symptoms:
- one-sided headache location;
- pain is pulsating;
- intensity is medium or high;
- increases with any physical activity;
- is accompanied by increased sensitivity to external stimuli;The
- attack lasts from several hours to several days( as a rule, does not exceed 72 hours);
- is accompanied by nausea and vomiting;
- is the ineffectiveness of conventional pain medication;
- may present aura( 25% of patients) in the form of visual disturbances( flickering in front of eyes, dots, fog, etc.), tactile sensations, speech impairment, such symptoms occur 5 minutes to an hour before the onset of a headache.
It is easy to diagnose migraines. To do this, it is enough to carefully analyze the symptoms of the pathology. But in the case of pregnancy, any episode of severe headache should not be left without medical attention. After all, there are other diseases that are accompanied by headache in pregnant women.
One of these is preeclampsia and eclampsia - a serious pathology of pregnancy, which can lead not only to fetal death, but also to women. The disease is manifested by elevated blood pressure, edema and headache. In the event of the transition of preeclampsia to eclampsia develop seizures, which can cause the death of a mother or her unborn baby.
Treatment of migraine during pregnancy with medicines
When a pregnant woman suddenly catches a migraine headache, then naturally the first question that arises is what kind of pill can be taken to get rid of the pain and not to harm the infant. Immediately you need to answer that they will not always save such medications from the unit and from the migraine.
Consider the possibility of using drugs in individual groups that are not in use when migraine patients are not.
Non-specific antipyretics and analgesics
This is the most common and well-known group of medicines used in relation to headache. But, it must be said that migraine headaches do not eliminate them as well as other types of headaches. Their effectiveness can only be shown at the beginning of the attack, but if it lasts for a while, then even a whole pack of tablets will not help get rid of migraines.
In addition, virtually all drugs in this group are not allowed to apply at one or another period of pregnancy. The only drug that is allowed to be used at all times of pregnancy is paracetamol. It is assigned to the Safety Group B by the United States Department of Food and Drug Administration.
There are 6 categories of drugs that determine the effect on the fetus:
In the modern pharmaceutical market there are many preparations of paracetamol - Efferalgan, Panadol, Paracetamol, Acetaminophen and others. The average therapeutic dose allowed by the pregnant woman is 325-500 mg, the daily amount should not exceed 2 g( 4 tablets of 500 mg).
Other NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen( which are authorized for headache and breastfeeding) can be taken only in the second trimester of pregnancy( category C).In the first, they increase the risk of defects in the development of the fetus, and in the third - bleeding and premature births.
It is strictly forbidden to take analgin, baralgin, spasmalgon, tempalgine, citramon, ascofen and similar preparations. It must also be taken into account that the use of combined medications from headaches is not welcome. The fact is that in their composition, in addition to permitted paracetamol and caffeine, there are often prohibited substances, such as acetylsalicylic acid.
Specific anti-migraine preparations
This group includes 2 types of drugs: derivatives of horns( dihydroergotamine, dihydergot) and serotonin agonists( zolmitriptan, sumatriptan, naratriptan).Acceptance of all these drugs is prohibited during pregnancy( category D), except for sumatriptan( category C).The appointment of sumatriptan tablets is only possible by a physician for relieving a severe migraine attack if the benefit to a woman exceeds the risk for the fetus.
Migraine video transmission:
Watch this video on YouTube
Anticonvulsants and antidepressants
Often, drugs used in this group are used to get rid of migraines. Consider the possibility of their use during pregnancy.
Serotonin reuptake inhibitors:
- Citalopram, Sertraline, Fluoxetine( Group D) - Data on such developmental defects as pulmonary hypertension, defects in the development of the brain and skull, heart and large vessels. The drug is admissible during pregnancy.
- Paroxetine( group X) - causes heart defects, anencephalitis, defects in the cranial box, embryonal hernia. Prohibited for use in pregnant women.
- Amitriptyline, nortriptyline or( category C) - in animals causes underdevelopment of the limbs, there is no confirmation in humans. Allowed for use under strict medical indications.
- All drugs in this group are categorized as X and contraindicated in pregnancy.
Beta-blockers and calcium channel blockers
Only metoprolol and atenolol are permitted from beta-blockers for use in pregnant women. These drugs belong to the group C and are prescribed by the doctor for strict indications.
Preparations from the calcium channel blockers group are only allowed for use in the second trimester( category C).This is verapamil, diltiazem, amlodipine, nifedipine, etc.
Thus, it is possible to take only a paracetamol tablet from the headache alone, all other cases require a doctor's prescription after assessing all the benefits to the mother and the risk to the fetus.
Video transmission of food against migraines:
Live healthy!: Food against migraines 03.06.2013
Watch this video on YouTube
Alternative treatments for migraines in pregnant
It is not necessary to immediately upset and prepare yourself to have to endure pain for several days, because there are many alternative and safe methods for treating migraines in pregnant women. Consider the most effective:
- you can drink a cup of strong and very sweet tea or coffee;
- attach a cappuccino head to the head and tightly tied with a scarf;
- provide you with complete peace of mind - no light, no sound, no movements;
- cold is an excellent helper in the fight against migraine - cold showers, compress, ice cream on the head - help bring the tone of the vessels to normal and narrow them, which manifests itself as a reduction in headache;
- can smear whiskey with lavender oil or an asterisk, but not for everyone. This method is suitable, in some pregnant women, the sharp smell can only aggravate headaches;
- food should be light and balanced; from the menu it is necessary to exclude all products-provocateurs of migraines;
- requires a sufficient amount of fluid, dehydration only worsens the situation;
- point head massage;
- reflexology and acupuncture;
- excellent breathing training;
- short sleep.
In order not to face a problem like migraine during pregnancy, first of all a woman in a position should adhere to a rational mode of work and rest, a healthy lifestyle, to engage in physical educationfor pregnant women, to exclude all bad habits, to eat correctly and healthy, to have an active lifestyle and to walk a lot. And the most important thing is to avoid stressful situations, prepare for motherhood and rejoice in happiness.