Lice in dogs: is it true or a myth?
- 24 Nov 18:15
Let's start with the fact that dog lice really exist - this is a scientific fact. Moreover, they torture four-handed friend not less than the human losers of people. As with humans, lice in dogs are several different species, distinguishing themselves from each other features of biology and structure of the body:
- is actually dog lice( Linognathus setosus) - a small parasite yellow-gray, causing constant animal anxiety, skin rash, and withsevere infection - weight loss of a pet;
- canine dog( Trichodectes canis) - has approximately the same size as lice, but when infected it causes hair loss, dermatitis and persistent itching.
Below is a photo of dog lice and livestock:
These two parasites are very easy to confuse, but there will be no trouble, as the fight with them is approximately the same. The main thing here is to be able to detect them on a dog even before there are serious consequences.
In addition to the fact that these parasites cause damage to the wool and d
In the photo - typical signs of dermatitis in a dog:
As noted by
, the infection of dogs with lice is called sifunculosis.
Lifestyle and appearance of lice in dogs
Lice in dogs look like very small insects yellowish-gray or light gray with an elongated body. The lice from the hairworms are hard to distinguish, and it is possible to notice such differences only with proper experience and careful consideration of parasites: the lice of the
- have a long, elongated and narrow body, while in the body it is a dense and wide
- in the vesoyoeda a large semi-square head, and in the lice it is significantlynarrower
These signs are clearly visible if you keep an adult adult insect on hand.
Here's how, for example, look like lice in dogs( close-up photography):
And in the next photo we show hairworms:
There are differences in the way of lice and hairworms. Dog lice feed on animal blood - their mouthpiece is adapted only for skin piercing and blood sucking. Volosoids also eat mostly peeling off the skin, hair and secretions of the skin of the animal's glands.
From fleas, lice are distinguished by a light body and a lack of ability to jump. In addition, the lice are easily crushed between the fingers, while crushing the flea is extremely difficult due to its rather strong chitin shell.
Photo of a flea: this jumping parasite is really difficult to confuse with lice or wands.
Dog lice can not infect other animals - they are strictly specific to one type of host, and can parasitize only on dogs. This means that a person or a cat can not get lice from a dog.
Lice in dogs multiply, sticking their eggs to the hairs. The sticky shell of the egg quickly hardens in the air, and to remove all such a design from the wool turns out to be very difficult.
Egg with a shell called nest - on the example of human lice. Nests are very resistant to the impact of adverse environmental factors and even tolerate the treatment of animal wool with many modern insecticides.
With a large amount of lice causing hair follicles to cling to the dog, resulting in dentures. This is especially true for long-haired breeds: they have parasites in the wool may not be noticeable, but the appearance of tufted wool is a good diagnostic feature of the presence of insects.
Lice in dogs with little infection in their eyes do not rush, but the pupils of dark breeds, even at the initial stages of infection, it is usually easy to notice: the lice and their nets themselves look lighter against the background of dark wool.
Volosoids are found in dogs more often than lice, but in general both of them and other parasites are much less common than fleas.
What are the dangerous lice for a dog?
The risk of lice in dogs is, first of all, that they cause constant itching with their bites. Same and hairworms - although they do not bite directly, but constantly scrape off the skin and can tear it to sensitive layers.
Consequences of severe infection of dogs with lice can be:
- hair loss, the appearance of gaps and general deterioration of the wool's condition( see photo)
- allergy to
- bites, developing in places of constant scratching, eczema, neurodermatitis
- anemia with a large number of dailybites
- slimming and depletion dog
- infection with worms, in particular - cucumber chain.
Particularly dangerous lice in puppies: infants may experience growth retardation, weakening of the immune system, and persistent depression in infants. That is why if the lice appeared in the dog, they should be displayed as soon as possible.
How are dogs infected with lice?
In most cases, lice are transmitted from a sick animal to healthy at close contact - a game, a dream, a harness, in a fight.
It is very difficult to avoid such contacts, while the domestic dog can even be quite well maintained - until its owner noticed the parasites.
Often, hosts themselves infect pupils, bringing on the wool of other animals from the street or guests. When infected with lice, the dog loses individual hair very intensively, and therefore, with such probability, such hairs with insects or their eggs fall on the clothes of a stroking animal of a person.
Treatment of the dog from the lice
It is easy to remove the lice in the dog. Since lice or hairworms, unlike fleas, can not escape from the animal, they will die when treated with any effective insecticidal preparation.
Treatment of dyspnea in dogs can be done by the following means:
- Insectoacaricidal drops on the fork - these remedies are suitable for any breed of dogs, and some - even for puppys. Particularly known drops are Stronghold, Frontline, Hartz, Bar. In the line of each manufacturer there are preparations for dogs of different breeds and age, therefore it is not difficult to choose the most suitable drops. Apply them as follows: from the pipette the liquid drops on the forele in the neck of the dog( some drugs - in several places along the spine) and carefully rubbed into the skin. After that, through the network of hypodermic blood vessels, the insecticide spreads throughout the body and poisons parasites that suck in the blood or feed on the animal's skin. Drops are the easiest to use long-term funds. Only occasionally they can cause an allergy to the animal.
- Spray, many of which fit even for puppys. These remedies are good because they rarely cause allergies, but only have a small residual effect. To remove lice with their help, the spray must be treated as fully as possible with all the wool of the dog, withstand the drug for several hours and washed away. Puppies of lice can be destroyed by Front Line and Hartz sprays - these funds, even with some hit in the digestive tract, do not lead to side effects. In adult dogs, you can also use Spray Bars, Bloc and Advancix®.
- Insecticidal shampoos - they are most suitable for puppys and dogs of decorative breeds. The most famous dogs are RolfClub, Phytoelite and Lugovoi. Shampoo is simply applied to wet wool, foamed, kept for 15-20 minutes and washed off. Most of the shampoos are not allergenic, fast acting, but quite expensive and complex in treating large dogs.
Sometimes it is recommended to use fleece collars from lice and hairworms in dogs. Indeed, the collars will allow the lice to be removed within one to two weeks, but they often cause allergies and damage to the haircuts at the place of wear. It is rational to use collars for dogs that constantly live outdoors as prevention of infection with lice and fleas.
Photo of antitussive collar:
After removing lice from a dog, it is necessary to scrub the worms.
Safety and safety measures for the elimination of lice
When using any lice agent, it is important to keep in mind the contraindications and possible side effects.
Most funds can not be used for pregnant and lactating dogs, puppies under the age of one month, and dogs infected with infectious or somatic diseases.
In these situations, you should always choose a specialized drug.
However, in any case, both pregnant, and puppies and sick lice should be saved because these parasites can complicate any health problems in the animal. It is wise to consult veterinarians in such situations.
In order to protect the pet from infestation with lice( and other parasites), it is necessary to ensure that the dog does not communicate with stray animals. It is useful to wear an animal's collar from fleas at the time of walks. And to the owners themselves, after returning from the guests who have animals, or from long walks on the street with neighboring pupils, it is worthwhile, without going into the house, to clean clothes with a thick brush. Such measures will be enough to ensure that your dog has never learned what kind of lice and hairworms.