Gingivitis in cats - treatment, symptoms and causes of the disease, prevention
- 20 Nov 07:00
- Animal Care
A bad smell from the cat's mouth is not always the cause of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Often, the very smell from the mouth becomes the first symptom of gingivitis - a common inflammatory gum infection. Gingivitis is a mild form of a dangerous disease - periodontal disease. Began the inflammatoryprocess may affect not only one tooth, but several at once. The infection accompanied by inflammation spreads rapidly from the most infected gum to the ligaments and bones that hold the teeth in the cavity.
If the owner did not pay attention to the problems of the caudate friend in time, he did not start treatment or did not follow all the recommendations of the veterinarian, loss of support for teeth, which leads to its tearing and, at later stages, falls out. Problems with gums and teeth have a very negative effect on the body as a whole. In addition to an unpleasant rotting smell from the mouth, it can also spread the infection throughout the animal organism, affecting the liver, kidneys, the lymphatic system and other organs through infected blood, because in the mouth of the cats, good blood supply is good. Infection in the blood, transporting it to organs can cause severe damage. If and at this moment, do not pay attention to the condition of the cat - everything can end in misery, leading to the refusal of that or that body.
Causes and Symptoms of Gingivitis in
Booths To determine the symptoms of gingivitis in cats, it is necessary to understand the causes behind the development of this disease. For pets, gingivitis can be of two types:
- Plasma citrate-lymphocytic gingivitis - a more severe form of inflammatory gum disease. Causes severe acute pain, appearance of ulcers on the oropharynx or soft palate. As a consequence - the cat reduces appetite, she refuses to eat and loses weight. To establish the cause of the appearance of plasma-citrato-lymphocytic gingivitis has not yet succeeded. Moreover, veterinarians are convinced that such a form of gingivitis may ultimately lead to serious diseases such as rhinotracheitis, cats of calcium, or even chuma( panleukopenia);
- Dental gingivitis occurs after a bite on the teeth and cucumbers of a pet. It is worth remembering that plaque occurs due to the deposition of bacteria and food particles near the tooth and gum joint. At first, a fee is formed on the teeth, each time it becomes denser. Not a distant plaque hardens and becomes not just a bloom, but a dental stone. It is easy to see in those places where the tooth is connected to the gums. Typically, the tooth stone has a distinctive yellow color that is different from natural enamel. After some time there is redness of the gums, which is the first sign of developing gingivitis.
Based on the above reasons, it becomes clear that the first sign of any type of gingivitis is an unpleasant smell from the mouth of a pet. Also, to the main symptoms visible to the naked eye are:
- Vigorous salivation;
- Swelling of the gums, their redness. This is especially noticeable in the tooth and gum joint;
- Bad smell of the mouth;
- Bleeding is gums, tightened by touch or light pressure;
- Lack of appetite. To speak more precisely, the pupil wants to eat, the appetite does not disappear, but severe pain in the oral cavity does not allow a pet to eat.
For the diagnosis of "dental gingivitis" or "gingivitis," the vet will examine the mouth of the kite, paying particular attention to the presence of a dental stone, inflammation or redness in the area of the gum, and the presence or absence of an unpleasant smell from the mouth.
To confirm the diagnosis of "Plasma citrate-lymphocytic hepatitis", a biopsy should be performed.
Treatment of gingivitis in cats
Treatment depends entirely on the degree of development of gingivitis. In the early initial stages treatment is possible by regular cleaning of teeth. Removal of a tooth stone is more a prophylactic measure than a therapeutic, but it can also be the cause of gingivitis. In essence, gingivitis - gingivitis, and not the proper procedure for removing a stone on the cucumbers and teeth of a pet can lead to infection in the gap between the tooth and gums and, as a result, cause the onset of inflammatory processes in the mouth.
It is necessary to conduct an annual review of a veterinarian or to inspect the oral cavity of a pet by yourself. Remember, cats are great wizards to disguise discomfort and pain. They will not be able to say "the owner, I have pain here and here".Only a pitiful nursery will report that the pupils are not alright, but unfortunately people have not yet learned to understand the tongue of the cat and purring. Working hard working masters may not even notice that their favorite is where they hurt. Therefore, the inspection at the veterinarian is very useful. Dental gingivitis is treated at an early stage without loss from the health of the pet's oral cavity. But the further the process of treatment is delayed, the situation becomes worse. The edge of the gingivitis is the loss of the animal's teeth, its progression and the transition to periodontal disease. At this stage, damage to teeth and gums becomes irreversible.
For the purpose of pain relief, the vet usually assigns Metrogil-Denta, a gel, which can be purchased at a regular pharmacy. He also has a mild antimicrobial effect and relieves inflammation. In the veterinary pharmacy you can buy Dentavedin - a hygienic gel, as well as the drug Zbustic.
In the treatment of plasmacytral-lymphocytic gingivitis, the following drugs and techniques are usually used:
- In the first place, antibiotics are prescribed, they take off inflammation and kill the infection. Can be used both locally and in tablet form;
- Immunomodulators are used to enhance the immunity of your pet, dripping on the tip of the nose, so that the kiza could melt it. In practice, interferon is used for these purposes;
- Removal occurs in plaque in cats. Conducted only by a qualified veterinarian;
- The use of anti-inflammatory drugs also contributes to the transmission of infection. Often use prednisone.
If improvements are not seen and treatment is not successful, the only way to save your pet is to remove the teeth that have been infected.