Orchid Wanda: photo and home care
- 09 Nov 02:15
Until recently it was considered that it is impossible to grow orchids at home. However, this royal appearance of flowers to our joy has greatly taken root in the apartments. So that you can admire this beauty for a long time, you need proper care of the orchid. About this, and about, there's a lot more about this article.
- 1 Description, origin, species Wanda
- 1.1 Wanda valkovataya
- 1.2 Wanda blue
- 1.3 Vanda tricolor
- 2 Features care
- 2.1 Lighting
- 2.2 Temperature
- 2.3 Soil
- 2.4 Irrigation
- 2.5 Feeding
- 2.6 Fertilizer
- 2.7 Transfer
- 3 Reproduction
- 4 What is Vanda?
Description, origin, species of the Vandy
Wanda is considered to be the queen of orchids. Her name "Vanda" has Sanskrit roots, yet she is also called Indians. For the first time this name was used by Sir William Johnson in 1795.It is priced well enough. Wanda is well crossed and has many hybrids.
Orchid belongs to the genus of epiphytes - plants with air roots. That is, such flowers grow on trees or rocks, but not on the ground.
Vandy type - monopodial( "single leg"), its trunk only grows up. The height of monopodial orchids can reach several meters. There are about 25 species of such plants.
Occurred in Wanda in the South of China, in Thailand, in the North and East of India.
The Vandy orchid stalk is quite pronounced, and is covered with leaves of cylindrical form from the rhizome to the brush.
Leaves produce flower peduncles. These are numerous flowers of different colors, with a diameter of 8-10 cm. Prevailing tones: pink, lilac, blue. Flowers have veins, a darker tone that resembles a grid. Flowering can last up to 3 months.
Consider some Vandy hybrids:
This species has a branched huge stem( up to 3 meters) and numerous roots. Scalable leaves have a length of up to 20 cm and in diameter up to 0.3 cm. Kvitkonis produces 3-6 large flowers, at a width of 10 cm.
The petals and the flower calyx are diamond-shaped or rounded. The edges are wavy.
Lipos( several merged petals) trilopated. The middle blade is wide, wedge-shaped, purple. Side - yellow in red dots.
Has a straight stem height of up to one meter with a multitude of roots. Double-row dentate leaves are at the top of a skewed cut and stile form. Brushes straight or spit that grow up. One flower pedigree produces 6-15 flowers, up to 10 cm in diameter. They may have a blue hue and a mesh pattern.
Calyx lapats or ovate, wide, narrow to the base. The lobe is small but dyed more intensely than other parts.
Flowering: October to November.
Has a straight stem of one and a half to two meters in height. Long leaves grow in 2 rows, have a bony form. Flowering gives 7-10 large flowers, quite fragrant, white or cream colored with brown spots.
Calyxes and petals are wavy, egg-shaped, nail is wide. The trilupate's lip is of the same size as the flowers. Side shovels are small, central large, yellow or pink, shaped like a guitar.
Flowering: October - January, May, June.
As the plant is forced to adapt to other people's conditions, it needs special care.
Orchid Vanda loves the light very much. However, it should not be kept under direct sunlight, otherwise the leaves may burn. Lack of light leads to a lack of flowering.12 hours a day, the orchid must be in the light. Best of all, it will fit the diffused light of the sun.
If there is not enough sunlight, you can use a fluorescent lamp to illuminate the Vandy. And in the warm season, at a temperature not lower than +16 degrees, the wanda acclimatises and out of the house, first in the penumbra, then with the addition of lighting.
Indicator of correct illumination is:
- color of the leaves. Ideally, it has an average green color. If the color is too dark then the lighting is enlarged. If too light, until yellow - reduce;
- the length of the leaves. If the number of pairs of leaves is shorter than the last, then the lighting needs to be increased. If shorter than the last couple to reduce.
The temperature of the
Vanda is a very warmth-loving plant, not without reason it grows in warmer areas. The optimum temperature for her in our climate - from +18 to +30 degrees in the afternoon, and no less than +16 at night.
The temperature for this type of orchid directly depends on the humidity and circulation of air. The higher the last figures, the greater the temperature can be caused by this plant.
For flowering Vandy, a favorable temperature difference at night and at night to 10 degrees.
Orchids Vandy can be grown with bare roots for good circulation of air. If there is no such opportunity, there is a special substrate for the orchids. It is a chip of pine bark with various impurities.
Orchids require alternating dry cycles and moisture. In hot weather they are watered daily, in cold - in a day, two, better in the first half. There should be no stagnation near the roots, it should drain.
There are several ways to water the plant: the
- hot shower is the very best way to mimic the natural conditions. The flower is placed in a bath and is showered with as much warm, soft water as possible until the roots become green. For half an hour, he has to stand so that the glass is water. After an hour the leaves are wiped with a napkin of natural cloth;
- immersion - a pot with roots immersed in water for half a minute, then removed and half a minute to give water to drain. The method is suitable only for healthy orchids;
- funnel - watered with water from the funnel, leads it along the edge of the pot until the water starts to pour out of it. Draw the water and repeat the procedure.
- spraying uses a method for plants with bare roots as they dry up more often.
Feeding the Vendes orchids involves spraying or immersion with water at 5-6 degrees above room temperature. This is done in the morning, in hot weather - even at noon. In no case sprayed the orchid in the evening or at night! Otherwise, she may fall ill.
Enrich Wanda Minerals Monthly. All fertilizer components should be taken in equal parts.13 gr.fertilizers for 10 liters of water. It is pleasing to watering. Young orchids can be fertilized every week - two.
Indicator of proper fertilizer:
Lowly fertilized plants weakly blossom. Excessively fertilized - they become sluggish, the top is softened. Also on a young leaf should be a light-green strip width of 1 cm. If less - you need to feed more often. If the band up to 2 cm - then less.
It is important to carefully inspect the plant's roots and remove rotten parts before transplanting. Do it dry. The plan to transplant the orchid is necessary with young roots. If the roots are very long, then it will be difficult for her to climb in a new ground.
Causes for Vandy's immediate transplantation, regardless of flowering:
- compression of the substrate, which eliminates the roots of air access;
- is originally low-quality soil, moist, dries badly;
- contaminated, unbalanced substrate;
- excessive deepening of the roots in the substrate;
- in the substrate begin to rot its roots.
Seeds of Wanda grow only in laboratory conditions. At home, it propagates in a vegetative way. For this, half of the upper segment of the stem is cut and transferred to the substrate. Put in a warm, non-sunny place and spray it every day without watering. Cut off place on the stem shave with peeled charcoal.
What is Wanda?
Among the diseases of this species of orchids are the following:
- atrophy parts of the plant. Causes: Dehydration;overheating of the roots. Treatment is impossible;
- mitesAllocate transparent and spider pests of orchids. Treatment: abundant washing of the plant with soap water. Chemicals are also used, but they are not always effective;
- cracked sheets. Causes: mechanical damage;cooling after watering;excess nitrogen;overfeeding of the plant;sunburns. Treatment is impossible;
- is a fungal infection by airborne drip or through water. Symptoms: mucus on the leaves, black convexity, quirky, unusual patterns. Treatment: isolation;removal of the contaminated part;disinfection;spray with fungicide;
- Viral Infection. Symptoms: ring-shaped spots on the leaves.100% is not cured;
- bacteriosis or ointment of rot caused by bacteria;
- Thermal Burning. Reason: The effect of hot air. Similar to sunburn;
- fusarium wilting. Where the leaf is connected to the stem, there are pushed black spots. The sheet crumbles and falls away.
In any case, the beauty of this royal plant is worth the work spent on caring for it!