How to feed baby with breast milk
- 09 Sep 09:30
A baby needs to be fed from birth and should receive breast milk regularly. It so happened that some young mothers at an intuitive level understand how to feed their child properly. Other mothers have to face a variety of difficulties and for some timehas mastered all the intricacies of this important issue.
Modern women are increasingly faced with lactation problems. Experts believe that the reason for these problems lies in the wrong behavior of young mum. Knowing how to make breastfeeding right can avoid common mistakes and problems.
2. Breast Feeding Options
3. Number and Duration of Feeding
4. Characteristics of
Breast Feeding Twins 5. Correct Application of
6. Feeding Provisions
6.1.Poses while feeding lying
6.2.Poses during feeding sitting by sitting
7. Power control
8. Control weighing
Feeding infant breast
Breastfeeding by many pregnant women is perceived as a complex and painful process. But in fact, for the breastfeeding process to bring positive emotions to mom and baby, it is necessary to identify the main aspects and give them due attention.
The most common questions posed by young mothers are:
- how often to feed a baby;
- how should you keep your baby while feeding;
- how to apply to the chest.
Options for breastfeeding
There are two main approaches to addressing the question of the frequency of feeding a newborn.
The first one that was popular at the time of Soviet pediatrics does not leave a choice on this issue and sets the exact feeding time. During the day, feeding a newborn baby is necessary every three hours.
In the second approach, according to modern techniques in this important issue, one should rely on the child's desire and feed it on demand.
With this technique, you can solve several problems at once:
- if the child is actively eating during the day, then it is no longer necessary for mother to get up at night for feeding, which means she can rest and sleep;
- with frequent application to the chest baby is sure that mom is not far and therefore calm;
- together with frequent feeding mother gives her baby care, affection and love.
Experts believe that in this matter the mother should take on their own and based on their own intuition.
Number and Duration of Feeding
In modern pediatrics, child feeding is more often practiced. But mom need to learn how to distinguish hungry crying from anxieties caused by other factors.
Since immediately after birth, all baby systems are only beginning to function effectively, there are some recommendations for feeding babies.
Newborn babies are still weak, the volume of their stomach is very small, and colostrum in its composition is quite calorie. Therefore, active feeding in the first two days after birth is only 5 minutes. Each subsequent day can be added for 5 minutes, gradually feeding the time to 40 minutes.
Kids older than 2 weeks should be fed 40 minutes. In this case, about 90% of breast milk is received by the child for 5 minutes of feeding, and in the rest of the time, he satisfies his own needs for sucking.
In a maternity home and several days after birth, the baby eats from 10 to 14 times per day for .Gradually, the child is given her own rhythm of feeding. From the first month of life, the baby eats about 6-8 times a day( every 3-4 hours ).Since 5 months, the amount of food intake is reduced by to 5-6 times per day of , and the time span increases.
Often, young mothers are asked questions about night feeds. Specialists recommend the first few months to practice feeding a baby at night. This is due to the fact that the babies do not distinguish between day and night, since they have not yet developed circadian rhythms. And since the main need is to get food, without her satisfaction, the child not only can not fall asleep, but also develop properly.
From 4 to 11 months( depending on individual development peculiarities) a child is able to withstand a lack of food at night for 6 hours. It is recommended to keep the nights feeding until the child does not stop waking up at night to eat.
When during a night's feeding the baby is reluctant to succumb to chest or falls asleep, you can safely replace breast milk with water and gradually stop feeding at night.
First, you should apply the baby to one breast, and at the next meal, the breast changes. It turns out that every feeding needs to alternate the chest so that the child is not used to one and exclude the possibility of stagnation of milk in another breast.
breastfeeding When feeding the twins to the chest, children are staged one by one. In this case, the priority in the championship should be given to a child who is more concerned.
The second child should first be applied to the chest with which the first baby was fed to ensure that it is better to empty, only then apply to the other. The next feeding begins with the breast, which was applied to the second child.
Correct application of
The way the baby is applied for the first time to the chest depends on the entire next feeding. In case of failure, the baby may completely abandon breast milk.
Therefore, the young mother needs to know the basic principles of applying to the chest:
- take a comfortable position, given the fact that feeding can be delayed;The
- baby should lie to his mother's tummy, and his face turned to the nipple;
- to eliminate the possibility of surface grabbing the nose of the baby is close to the chest;
- should take the chest so that the thumb is located parallel to the upper lip of the baby, while the other four are lower;
- should not put the baby nipple in the mouth; he must take it on his own;The
- can be operated nipple on the child's lower sponge or even squeeze out a drop of milk;
- if the kid grabbed only the tip of the nipple, then smoothly pressing on the mother's chin should be released;
- the mouth of a newborn should be widely disclosed in order to capture not only the nipple, but also the abdominal area;
- should slightly touch the chest while feeding the chin of the newborn, and its lower lip is located below the nipple;When feeding, it is important to monitor the child's breathing during the
- to stop feeding, just put a little finger in the corner of the baby's mouth and release the breasts.
During feeding, the baby should properly capture the chest. Otherwise, with milk, he will seize the air and badly devastate his chest.
When a child begins to fall asleep during the feeding process or is often distracted, then he has already nailed. It is necessary to remove the nipple from the mouth of the baby and for some time to rub the baby "column".This will ensure that the milk or air is dislodged.
Positions for Feeding
Many women, even as mothers, do not quite imagine how comfortable and proper feeding looks. And some mothers for the entire period of their breastfeeding in addition to the position of "cradle" did not try other poses.
At the same time women forget about their own comfort, only the baby naives and was pleased. But the result is the opposite, since the baby, feeling the tension of the mother, he begins to worry and eats less milk than he needs.
Poses while feeding lying
Mostly advised when feeding to use a lying pose. It is believed that this posture is especially convenient for both mom and baby. Ways to feed lying down:
- lying on my mother's arm - the head of a feeding mother is lying on the pillow; one hand is supported by a child who should lie on the side;
- on the side - the child is located directly next to the breast in such a way that his head rests in the mother's armpit;
- on the mother's abdomen( or "relaxed feeding") - the baby is fed by her mother's belly. This method is ideal for feeding twins, as well as for the prevention of intestinal colic. Mum is desirable to sit down without lying down, and lie down, putting a pillow under his shoulder.
But not all women will be able to feed lying immediately after childbirth, as it will be necessary to virtually hang over the child and constantly strain to keep one position. And this leads to stomach tension, which can provoke postpartum bleeding.
Poses while feeding while sitting
This is the most common among mothers for feeding the baby, since it almost does not cause any hassle and is clear without any explanation. It is important to ensure that during feeding the baby is placed face to mother, and not sideways.
For comfort, mom can put a pillow on her knees. In order not to strain the stomach during feeding it is desirable to rely on pillows.
"From under the hands"
With this method, the baby is located on the side of her mother, looking at her from under the armpit. Keeping the baby behind the neck, mom returns her tummy to her side, and pulls her legs behind her back. In order not to bend, you can put a baby pillow that will provide the required height.
To determine that the baby receives the necessary for his age and the development of breast milk, you need to pay attention to several criteria:
- is a regular increase in body weight - the average child in the first month of life adds up to 25-30 grams per day,means, in the month of up to 600-800 grams of ;
- is the calm behavior of a child with positive emotions;
- pure and velvety skin-touch coatings;
- strong sleep;
- has a certain amount of urination per day.
If a child is badly attached in weight, sucks in suction for a long time and ineffectively, the young mother should determine the degree of her own lactation. Several methods can be used to determine the lactation state.
"Number of oily diapers"
As normal baby should have 6 to 8 urinations per day. It is worth figuring out how many wet diapers last for a day after a baby. If their number is from 3 to 5 pieces, the baby may not have enough breast milk.
The main objective of this method is to determine the actual weight of the child's body at the time of weighing. The weight of the child is checked before and after feeding. The difference between the numbers indicates the amount of milk that the baby sucked from the chest during meals.
To obtain a reliable indicator, it is necessary to carry out the control weighing several times a day( 3-5 times).Then the average figure is calculated, which indicates how much milk the baby receives for one feeding.
If this number is multiplied by the number of feeds per day, you can find out what amount of milk your child consumes in a 24-hour period.
Timely feeding of the baby causes normal development and physical health in the future. Therefore, so that a newborn baby grows strong and healthy, it is necessary from the first days of his life to provide him with proper nutrition. And it is possible to do it only with the help of breast milk, it is an ideal product for a small organism.