Why and why the ostrich hides its head in the sand: video and photo
- 27 Aug 14:00
The issue that many torture from childhood: Why does an ostrich hide its head in the sand? In our article you will see photos and videos that show how these birds really behave and really the ostrich is trying to hide its head in the ground.
- 1 True ostriches hide their heads and why they do it?
- 1.1 Myth 1 - ostrich is afraid and therefore buried in the sand
- 1.2 Myth 2 - ostriches are asleep, buried with a head in the sand
- 1.3 Myth 3 - buried in the sand, the bird is looking for insects
- 2 Interesting facts
- 3 Photo gallery
- 4 Video "Ostrich Farm"
True ostrich hide your head and why do they do it?
During the Roman Empire the well-known philosopher and scientist Pliny the elder has lived. It was in his original mistake that there was some aphorism that the ostriches hid their heads in the sand. Pliny the elder wrote that the ostrich bites his head and neck in the ground to feel safe. The philosopher was deeply mistaken, and then we will explain why this happened.
Myth 1 - Ostrich is afraid and therefore buried in sand
If you have ever seen an ostrich live or on a photo, then you can perfectly imagine its size and power. He is afraid of some kind of persistent attention, but not enemies. Of course, in the wild he is sometimes chased by large predators. However, the feathery is able to run at a speed ride along the route of the car( 70 km / h), so the danger to him is rare. Thus, the bird will not burst into sand in the sand.
But after a long chase the bird can really drop your neck with head to ground. This is due to the fact that the feathered runner spends a lot of effort on running at high speed, and such a break with the head and neck down allows him to recover energy in 10-15 minutes. We were convinced that the question "why the ostrich hides its head in the sand" is formulated incorrectly and mistakenly. In the photo above, it is clearly seen that he just leaned his head low, but did not burrow into the ground.
Myth 2 - ostriches are asleep, buried with head in the sand
Why does the ostrich overwhelm the air? After all, this is what he will do if he gets buried in any ground. In fact, the bird just breathes oxygen like a beast or a man, and under the sand layer it will not breathe. This is the second most popular myth, which arose on the grounds that the ostrich is asleep, bending his head to the ground. In addition, it is pressed to the surface of the earth, to be less noticeable to savannas predators, so this myth is also wrong. On the next photo you can watch the female spread the wings, sitting on the ground.
Myth 3 - burying in the sand, the bird looking for insects
Insects can be searched and on the surface, therefore, and do not need to be buried. And why, because ostriches have a beautiful sight, and beetles with worms among vegetation, they can see very quickly. But to get the bugs, the high bird has to work hard. She leans lower, looks like insects and eats them. Unfortunate tourists probably think that the bird is so disguised. Nothing like! At the slightest danger, she fled, not even thinking of standing and afraid. The funny video below shows how fast a bird can escape.
A few interesting facts about the ostrich habit:
- , these large birds intentionally eat pebbles, pebbles, and sand, so that rough food in the stomach is digested faster;
- his brain is really less than his eyes;
- when running, the amount of ostrich step can reach up to 4 meters;
- , the direction of the run is also changing rapidly as the bird starts from place, that is, the ostrich does not slow down the turns;
- teenage chicks run somewhat slower than their parents, but also not bad - the speed reaches 50 km / h;
- air soap is so hot that the effect of its "melting" is often observed, which means that the ostrich's neck may "disappear" magically;
Photo 1. Nandu runs through the road
Photo 2. Ostrich's walks with
cubs Photo 3. Ostrich under the sun savannah
Video "Ostrich farm"
Interesting video about the behavior of birds on the farm. You can see the "dancing" of adults, as well as study their habits and look at the kids-ostriches.