Latex allergy - causes, symptoms, treatment, prognosis, photos
- 08 Aug 18:45
- Disease Of The Skin
Modern people in everyday life are often faced with latex products. This substance is used for the production of various products, ranging from baby nipples to commercial seals and means of barrier contraception.
During the last decade, thehas sharply increased the number of people who have an allergy to latex. Particularly often with the problem of latex allergy faced in medical institutions, as in medicine, a lot of different products from latex - gloves, catheters, infusion systems, and others.
Widely used latex products and everyday life, so that they face allergies to this material, not only in the medical institution, but also at home.
Allergy to latex products has long been known. The first cases of the disease are described in 1929.However, to date, cases of latex allergy have become more frequent, due to the widespread distribution of products, which includes latex.
- 1 What is latex?
- 2 Causes of
- 2.1 How can latex proteins get into the body?
- 3 Clinical picture of
- 4 Methods of diagnosis
- 5 Treatment of
- 5.1 Treatment of folk methods
- 6 Forecast and prevention of
What is latex?
Natural latex - this is a juice of a certain type of plants, which are classified as a kind of rubber. These are mollusks, mummies and other family plants. For the production of latex products, juice is often used by Brazilian hevea plants.
The latex contains proteins, lipids and phospholipids. And most latex proteins, most often cause allergic reactions. In sensitive individuals, latex proteins provoke the development of a specific substance - an immunoglobulin IgE, which also causes the emergence of clinical manifestations of allergy.
Since some fruits of the plant contain proteins similar in composition to latex proteins, patients with latex allergy tend to not tolerate food intake of certain foods. As a result, the body will not receive the necessary vitamins and this can lead to beriberi and possibly to pelagri.
Most often, patients with latex allergy do not tolerate the use of bananas, kiwi, tomatoes, chestnuts. Sometimes similar reactions give the use of such fruits as papaya, apples, melons, peaches, cherries. That is, in this case there is a cross allergy. Therefore, people who do not tolerate the use of the above fruits need to be careful when contacting with latex products. So if you are allergic to latex, as with atopic dermatitis, you will need a special one, but read about it here.
Products made of rubber of synthetic origin( polyurethane or butyl-based) are generally safe for patients with latex allergy.
Development The main cause of latex allergy is frequent contact with materials and products that include latex.
The risk group for the development of latex allergy includes:
- Employees of health institutions, who by their nature often use latex products.
- Patients with urinary tract pathology and abnormalities in the spinal cord, as well as patients requiring frequent invasive procedures.
- Rubber industry workers.
- Employees in the utilities sector - dishwasher detergents, maids, cleaners, etc.
- Persons who have food, domestic, medical and other forms of allergy.
In addition, latex allergy may develop in people who consistently use barrier methods, such as condoms or diaphragms, as a contraceptive. Although it is not necessary to completely abandon condoms, especially in case of occasional bouts, as you can cope with any sexually transmitted disease, for example, syphilis.
How can latex proteins get into the body?
There are various ways in which latex penetration into the body:
- Contact latex with leather when wearing gloves, etc.
- Contact with mucous membranes using condoms, latex nipples, catheters, etc.
- Through blood. This pathway for latex penetration is possible during invasive procedures.
- Through the respiratory system. When inhaling particles of powder, which is treated with latex gloves.
Clinical picture of
Symptoms of latex allergy depend on the pathway for allergen penetration into the body. Allocate three types of reactions:
- Dermatitis contact. This reaction occurs when long-lasting contact with latex skin, for example, when wearing gloves. Dermatitis is manifested by dry skin in a limited area, peeling, itching, burning sensation, cracking, and other symptoms that you learn from this article.
- Allergic Dermatitis. In this type of reaction, symptoms do not appear immediately, but after a while after contact with latex. Symptoms similar to manifestations of contact dermatitis, however, are expressed more intensively, and the area of defeat, as a rule, is not limited to the site, are directly encountered with latex. This type of dermatitis for symptoms is very similar to the diaper dermatitis, which occurs in children.
- Immediate reaction to latex. This type of reaction is characteristic of patients' hypersensitivity. The main symptoms are the appearance of colds, conjunctivitis, seizures, skin rashes. In severe cases, there is tachycardia, chest pain, strangulation, anaphylactic shock. When a severe reaction does not rule out the fatal outcome.
Diagnosis of latex allergy is rarely a problem. To confirm, it is necessary to carry out skin tests and analyze the content of IgE antibodies in the blood.
Skin tests should be conducted under strict medical control, as it is possible to develop difficult conditions caused by allergies.
In the event of latex allergy symptoms, immediate care should be given to the patient. Required:
- Urgently eliminate patient contact with latex.
- Place the contact area in water.
- Arrange ventilation of the room.
If you develop severe symptoms in a patient, you should seek immediate medical attention.
Treatment in the manifestation of latex allergy is carried out in the same way as with any other forms of allergic diseases. The choice of treatment regimen depends on the severity of the symptoms.
So, when the Queen's edema is administered, the adrenaline is administered, if necessary, hormonal drugs are introduced - Prednisolone, Hydrocortisone, Dexazon. In addition, it is necessary to receive antihistamines( Tavegil, Tetrine, etc.).If the patient feels an onset of suffocation, it is necessary to use бронохорасширяющие drugs( Berotec, Salbutamol, etc.).
If the allergic reaction is limited to cutaneous manifestations, it is sufficient to use antihistamines. Externally use ointments that have a calming effect. The course of taking antihistamines - at least 10 days, it is enough to take 1 tablet per day.
With strongly expressed skin reactions with latex allergy, ointments with corticosteroids are used. It is necessary to apply them in short courses, no more than 2 weeks in a row. It is desirable to use the means of a new generation, which does not include fluoride. These are the ointments like Locode, Elok, Adwandan and others.
It is important that the patient does not exceed the recommended dosage and spontaneously prolonged the course of treatment, since, if these recommendations are not followed, the skin condition may deteriorate. Also, patients should in no case themselves use different antibiotics and other drugs, as against the background of allergies may develop additional Lyell's syndrome. If skin manifestations of latex allergy are very severe, it may be necessary to administer corticosteroids inside. The choice of the drug and the scheme of admission the doctor selects individually.
Treatment of folk methods
For moderate and weak skin manifestations of latex allergy for treatment, you can use the recommendations of folk healers.
- When peeling and dry rashes, local trays with the addition of manganese( the solution should be pale pink), and also such trays recommended to do in case of such a disease as disgidosis are shown. After the procedure, it is necessary to lubricate the irritated skin with softening cream or goose fat.
- If latex allergy is manifested as a tingling rash, you can use tea lotions. In brushing it is necessary to moisten a gauze wipe, to apply it to the soil of erosion. Hold the compress for 1 minute, then remove the napkin and dry the skin in the air.
- For the treatment of skin manifestations of latex allergy, you can prepare infusion of herons and cones of hops. An infusion can be used internally, drinking half a cup in the morning and evening. In addition, this infusion is used for compresses on inflamed skin, including for the treatment of trichomycosis.
Forecast and prevention of
Prevention of latex allergy attacks is to exclude contacts with objects that contain latex. It should be remembered that the label "hypoallergenic" does not reflect the absence of the latex.
It should be said that not only household or medical gloves can cause the development of latex allergy but also the mass of other objects. Here is an incomplete list of items that may pose a risk to people suffering from latex allergies:
- ATM buttons( they may have latex coatings).
- Medical device cuffs - tonometers, ECG apparatus and others.
- Some types of support for bandages.
- Basket or carts used in supermarkets, with latex handles.
Facing the danger of developing an allergy can be found even in a cafe or restaurant, if workers use latex gloves in the process of cooking.
Card of patients suffering from latex allergy, necessarily make the appropriate markings. When visiting profile specialists who practice in private clinics or offices, you must inform the specialist about your condition, at least one day before the scheduled visit. If necessary, the hospitalization of patients with allergy to latex is placed in special boxes, as otherwise it is extremely difficult to prevent contact with products from latex.
In everyday life it is necessary to replace latex products, analogs, which do not have this substance. For example, instead of latex gloves use polyurethanes.
In addition, patients with latex allergies are advised to avoid the use of fruits, which include proteins similar to latex proteins.