Laying ceramic tile - some tips and tricks
- 31 Jul 18:30
- Repair Of
- 1 Materials and tools
- 2 Preparation of walls
- 3 Calculation of the number of vertical and horizontal rows
- 4 Features of stacking
- 5 Removing the laying defects
- 6 Suturing stitches
- 7 Conclusion
As you know, specialized firms and private professionals take quite a bit offor stackingtilesGiven the cost of the material itself, as well as the cost of its installation - the repair will cost a solid amount, which can not be laid by everyone. And, despite the fact that laying ceramic tile process is not easy, with the use of quality tools, well-prepared surface and detailed efforts, it is quite possible even a beginner in the construction business.
Materials and Tools
Ceramic tile is a reliable wall protection against moisture, grease and other contaminants. Due to the smooth face of the tile surface, the cleaning of walls or floors is done quickly and without the use of expensive tools. A large variety of shades and textures allows you to use tiles for decor
Before you begin to stow the material with your own hands, you need to determine the amount of tile and tools. For this you will need:
- Tile cutter - if you need to cover a large surface, then without this tool simply can not do. Moreover, the cost of a mechanical device is not so high. The electric tile cutter is an order of magnitude higher, but it makes no sense to buy it, since it is usually used at very large volumes of work. As an alternative to such an instrument, you can use a diamond blender.
- ShpateliTine spatula is required for applying a glue to the wall and tile, as well as a narrow spatula for tying them and apply the mixture to the surface of the wall or floor. Rubber is required for the sealing process.
- Drill with a diamond crown. Given that in the course of work you have to drill a hole for pipes or sockets, then you will need tubular drills with diamond spraying or a special diamond crown, which the people called "ballerinas".
- Building level. In the process of tiling the walls with your hands you will need two levels - long about a meter and short, up to 30 cm in size.
- Ax - it is necessary for creating cuts on the surface of the wall for its best adhesion bonding, especially when it is painted with oil paint or plastered or concrete.
- High Grain Primer.
- Crosses - They are located between the tiles to get a smooth and identical seam.
- Rubber hammer.
- Tile Adhesive. How much it will be needed depends largely on how smooth the surface is. To prevent the tile from slipping from the wall, the composition should be applied to the wall in a thickness of not more than 1 centimeter. Typically, 1 sq. M.meter consumes 6 kg of glue for a layer up to 5 mm and 12 kg for a layer of 1 centimeter.
- Profile - fixed to the wall and is a tile support. But if your floors are equal, then the surface of the floor can serve as such.
Preparing the walls
Before you start laying your own hands, the surface of the wall should be properly prepared. It must be leveled and cleaned of dirt and dust. There are two ways to make a wall:
- Plaster the surface with a cement-sand mortar.
- Level up with gypsum-fiber moisture resistant sheets.
If the wall was previously painted, then the surface should be applied to the nosepieces using an ax to ensure better adhesion of the adhesive. In addition, it is necessary to treat the wall with a primer with a large grainy to increase adhesion.
If there is an old tile on the wall, it must be completely removed, since the adhesive composition is not adhered to the smooth surface of the old finishing material.
Calculation of the number of vertical and horizontal rows
Before laying the cladding with your own hands, you need to decide how the vertical or horizontal rows will be located. Do this so that in the process of work at the end of the row there were no tiles in the size no more than 3 centimeters, as cut such a piece will be problematic, and it looks like it will not be attractive.
stacking technology In this regard, it is necessary to calculate the number of horizontal rows from top to bottom. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the seams between the tiles, the thickness of which should be within 3-5 mm. It is necessary to divide the height of the future laminated surface into the height of the finishing element by adding to this value the width of the seam, and round the resulting value to the smaller side. This will be the number of rows of the entire tile. The distance remaining should be planned for the bottom row, the vertical size of which is likely to be less than the height of one ceramic product. The position in the lower row of the cut tiles is due to two reasons:
- The bottom of the truncated tile will be less noticeable than the one that is located on the top.
- Since the floors in most cases are not ideally level and do not correspond to the horizontal level, the tile will have to cut each separately according to the existing distance between the second one from the floor near and the ground.
Vertical rows are calculated according to the same principle as the horizontal ones. From any angle should begin counting the width of the entire tile, given the width of the seam in 3-5 mm. If at the end of the row it becomes clear that the whole tile is not placed, then the whole row must be displaced so that there are identical facing elements on the two sides. This can achieve the symmetry of the entire surface finish.
Once the position of the vertical and horizontal rows has been calculated, you can begin to stow the material.
Stacking Process The first thing to do with your own hands is to attach the profile to the places where tiling will be done. This is required in order to support the second row of tiles. The profiles are fixed to the dowel. At the same time, it is very important that they be fixed strictly horizontally, for which you should use a building level longer than a meter.
As soon as the profiles are attached, you can begin to dilute the adhesive composition in the proportion that is recommended by the manufacturer and indicated on each bag of the mixture. In the case when it is used instead of glue cement-sand mortar, before use it is necessary to soak the tile in water so that the dry material does not take water from the solution.
As soon as the glue is prepared, it should be applied to a section of the wall, equal to the area of 3-4 tiles, applying a grit spatula for smoothing the glue. Next you need to stick the first reference series of material.
If it was decided to stick to symmetry, then you need to start laying a series of whole tiles, and then finish with the cut pieces. If you decide when performing repairs with your own hands, especially do not bother yourself, then you can begin the process of processing from the angle of the wall, with particular attention checking the small level of vertical and horizontal tile. Between the tiles, special plastic crosses are inserted to ensure the same width of the seams. They will necessarily need to be cleaned after the glue mixture completely freezes, and the tiles will find full real estate.
stacking defects Once the reference row is laid down, you need to immediately check how smooth it is at the longest possible level.
If there is a gap between the edge of the level and the tile, then the convex areas should be put up with a rubber hammer or hand tile to deeper into the gluing solution. If the product failed in relation to the adjacent elements, then it should be raised and add a glue or solution under it.
In the same way, the following series is made.
Adhering to the above-described order of laying the ceramic tile ends at the height of the wall, which was planned initially. Naturally, if you do everything with your own hands and is a beginner in the construction, then in one day, it will be impossible to cope with such a volume of work. Therefore, the entire process should be divided into several stages in order to make the layout qualitatively.
If pipes and sockets meet during the work, it is necessary to fit the tile by cutting the holes in it using a diamond crown or a special diamond-shaped tubular drill. In the end, stacking the last row of tiles that cut to the right size.
The final stage is the filling with a special solution of seams between the tiles. Make this operation with your own hands - the easiest thing in the whole process. Zatryka is not only a decorative component, but also a unique sealant, so filling seams with a special mixture, you not only decorate the ceramic coating, but also protect it from moisture.
Before starting the grinding process, it is necessary to clear the seams slightly using a seam or other narrow object. The mixture is applied with a rubber spatula, and all excess adhesive is removed using a sponge or a cloth. As a result of such actions, smooth and beautiful stitches should be formed.
If you do not hurry and make the most of your efforts, laying ceramic tiles with your own hands will not take you much time and you will get a result no worse than a professional wizard. The main thing is to use only qualitative material, good mixes and necessary tools, with which the cutting of the tile and its fixation to the walls will be executed equally and reliably.